Sunday 11 September 2011

Felt owls with free pattern!


Hello! Today was a Crafternoon day ^_^

I made these super cute felt owls ...






... which will possibly become a mobile, or maybe just some tiny plushies. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_MO0cK8Qg7mUWx6N2doOXhHd00/view?usp=sharing

And I also made this little pattern so that if you want to, you can make some felt owls too! Yay! 

Instructions:
1. Click on the image above to download the pattern from my Google Drive

2. Cut out all the felt pieces, making the body one colour (i.e. pink) and all the body parts except for the beak and eyes another colour (i.e. blue). Make the beak brown, and the eyes black.
3. Sew the eyes onto the eye mask with 6=six strands of black embroidery thread using the image on the pattern as a guide. Whip stitch the beak to the eyemask using two strands of brown embroidery thread. Whip stitch the eyemask to the front body piece using two strands of embroidery thread using the contrasting colour (i.e. pink thread if sewing a blue eyemask).
4. Sew three lines of zig-zag on the tummy patch with two strands of embroidery thread. 5. Whip stitch the tummy patch to the front body piece.
6. Starting at the top of the left wing, running stitch the owl body closed. Ensure the wings and feet are placed so that they will be caught by the closing stitches.
7. Leave a small gap on the left side of the head for stuffing; after stuffing, stitched closed.


- Lisa x

3 comments:

Tanya said...

dr whooooo

I think I need to make a scarf. Now.

Cute owls!!

And awesome to find another SP fan too :D

Lisa said...

Thanks Omlair ^_^
It's a pretty impressive scarf; I really need to actually attempt knitting again because I really want one too! It's going to be massive when it's finished ...
Rebecca *also* reasds SP, and she has a blog, but she never updates. So I may have to badger her in person to a) visit your blog and b) write posts about Dr Who scarves and awesome books ^_^

Tanya said...

I can kinda knit but haven't done so for years. But it's just garter stitch so I might be able to manage!

I'm a new blogger and am enjoying finding others with similar interests, I certainly didn't know any other people my age-ish who liked HP!

And, in response to your Q re blocking, I have some cardboard covered by a towel which I pin my work to. If it's wool you just give it a wash and pin it to the cardboard/towel into shape, if acrylic pin it into shape and then give it a steam with the iron.