Sunday 7 October 2012

Starry, starry night


Hey! How was your weekend? Mine seems to have gone so fast, but I guess they always do ^_^ I did a lot of cleaning, a lot of sleeping, and I redecorated a bit to get into the (very early) Halloween spirit ~_^ And I even did a bit of crafting - yay!


I made this constellation embroidery for the Astronomy challenge in the Harry Potter Craft-a-long. It was a really quick and easy project, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. When I was planning this project, I knew I wanted to use dark blue fabric and silver thread, but I wasn't sure how to do the stars ...
 
  
Sometimes when I can't think of a solution to a problem, I think about just before I go to sleep and then when I wake up my subconscious has thought of a solution for me. Yeah, I'm weird. Also, sometimes it backfires. Like, one time I was wanted to dream about a solution for some crafting problems but then Scott asked me a question ("What was the name of Sean Connery's character in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?") and so when I woke up all I could think was "Allan Quatermain!" ^_^

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, my subconscious had helpfully provided the solution to how to make the stars in this embroidered contellation: glow-in-the-dark perler beads. Yes!!
 

I think it turned out really well, and I was really pleased to finally use some of these perler beads - I knew they'd come in handy some day ~_^

The embroidery also looks really cool in the dark, but I couldn't get a good photo of the glowing, so you'll just have to imagine that!

And, for those wondering, I chose the constellation Sagittarius. I was really into astrology in my teens (hey, we all have our guilty secrets ~_^) and I still think the constellation is really pretty looking ^_^

What do you think? Do you have a favourite constellation?

- Lisa x

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Where's the action shot in the dark?

Looks great!!

Lisa said...

As I said in the post, I couldn't take a good one! >_< But if you've got any suggestions for taking good in-the-dark photos, I'd love to hear them ^_^

Sara said...

Lisa

As always your handywork looks great. My favourite constellation is Orion and I also had a guilty secret passion when I was young. Mine was dinosaurs. I loved them and was totally obsessed, so much so that I wanted to be an archaeologist, (although this might have also been influenced by Indiana Jones!). LOL.

Lisa said...

Thanks Sara! I liked hearing out your guilty pleasure too ... dinosaurs are super cool! ^_^

Tanya said...

hm, how about getting one of those camera apps for your phone that has a long shutter?