Thursday 26 March 2015

Imperial Eagle Cross-Stitch on a Crochet Dice Bag


Hello! If you've been reading this blog for a while, you've probably heard about the elusive creature that I call my husband, aka Scott. Scott is very, very patient with me as I constantly promise him things and then take ages to actually make them so his presents are quite often late. But, a strange thing has happened! I promised Scott a dice bag for his birthday this year and it's finished ... two months in advance! I think this means I better make him something else to give him on the actual day, what do you think?


I used this pattern by Geek's Dream Girl to crochet this bag, but made a few changes so that it could accommodate Scott's largish dice collection, which he uses (along with *a lot* of tiny, hand-painted army figurines) when he plays Warhammer 40K. The pattern suggested doing five rounds to make the base of the bag, but I did eleven. I did 21 rounds to make up the majority of the bag, and then seven rounds to make the bit that ruffles when you close the drawstring.


I used a DK weight wool to crochet the bag, and a thinner acrylic yarn to be the drawstring. For the drawstring, I just threaded two lengths of yarn through the trebled section of the bag (that will make more sense if you take a look at the pattern!), knotted the ends, and added a toggle.


One of the other advantages of making the dice bag bigger was that I had room to test out a technique I'd been keen about giving a go; cross-stitch over crochet!


I made a pattern for a very simplified version of the Imperial Eagle (which you can grab from my Google Drive here if you'd like to!) and cross-stitched it onto the bag, using the lines of the crochet as a guideline. It's certainly not as easy as cross-stitching onto Aida cloth, but I'm pretty happy with the result! 


Here's a kind of action shot, with Scott's Space Marine Centurion and Chaos Space Marine Maulerfiend looking on. Open ...


... and closed!


I'm currently working on some ~secret things~, which I absolutely can not wait to share with you, as well as a couple of gifts ... I think I better whip up something for myself too so I have something to show you next week! ^___^ What I'd really like right now is a bathtub to soak my skating-induced aches in, but I think that's a little beyond my abilities ~____^

- Lisa xx

6 comments:

Pops de Milk said...

That looks awesome! But what are the dice for? I'm assuming a game?

Lisa said...

Ooops, that was a silly detail to forget to include! The dice and the figures are for Warhammer, which is a tabletop strategy game Scott likes to play ^____^

Kate said...

That is so awesome! Fraser loves it too! He plays imperial fists and is currently frantically working on a space wolves army for a huge 40K tournament this weekend in Vancouver! Awesome!

Lisa said...

Thank you Kate and Fraser! And good luck for your tournament Fraser! ^____^

Amy said...

Oh, this is so cool! Thank you for sharing ♥
Amy xx

Perfect Imperfections

Lisa said...

Thanks Amy! ^____^