Tuesday 3 March 2015

What's new, pussycat? Kitty necklace from a beaded bracelet


Hello! I think I have finally gotten back to mostly good health, just in time for my first week of roller derby skills training tomorrow! I am so excited, and also quite nervous. I don't know about you, but for me crafting is a fantastic form of stress release and so, despite my illness, I have managed to start a few projects this last week. Of course, starting a project doesn't necessarily mean finishing it (my WIP crate can attest to this!), but there are exceptions ~___^


I brought the bracelet below while I was in Singapore, but soon realised that it was too big and too heavy for me to really want to wear around my tiny baby wrists. I didn't want those adorable kitty beads to languish in my jewellery box forever though, so I cut the elastic cord of the bracelet and reconstructed it into a necklace ^___^
 

I like it much better this way! I wanted to let the cat beads take center stage on the necklace, so I didn't complicate it overly.
 

I threaded one crystal bead onto a headpin, added one cat bead, and then trimmed the wire and twisted it into a loop which I then attached directly onto the necklace chain. You could use jump rings for this, but I felt having two jump rings between each headpin and the chain looked a little too busy. After attaching all the cat beads, I just added a lobster clasp with jump rings to attach the ends of the chain.
 

There are eight cat beads on the necklace, which is a deviation from my usual preference for odd numbers, but eight is a lucky number so I figured I would do well to keep all the cats together ~___^
 

One other thing that happened recently was that Frankie Magazine shared a photo of my knitted pineapple tea cosy that I made for the Giant Pineapple KAL! My pageviews went through the roof, so welcome if you've found this little corner of the interwebs via Frankie! If I'd known I was about to have so many visitors I may have tidied up a little bit ~___^

I'm picking up my sewing machine from the repair shop tomorrow and I can't wait to finally make some headway on my alterations pile! Shortened straps and taken-in waistbands aren't all that interesting to other people though, probably, so I'll simply have to make some new things as well. What a shame ~___^

- Lisa xx





4 comments:

Tanya said...

don't talk to me about WIPs :(

gorgeous necklace, fantastic idea as usual! such a cute little find, those beads are adorable!

Amy said...

This is such a great idea! Why waste those adorable beads in a bracelet you'll never wear? ♥
Amy xx

Perfect Imperfections

Kate said...

That necklace is awesome! Love the cat heads and it's always nice to get more use out of things you love.

Lisa said...

Thanks Tanya, Amy, and Kate! ^___^
Changing something to make it more "you" is something I just love to do! ^____^
And WIPs are just part of a crafter's life I think Tanya ... but let's just ignore them for a while longer ~___^