Wednesday 10 July 2013

Two art canvases and a recovered faux book


I'm slowly getting through challenges for the Summer Nerd Games on Craftster but last night I had a burst of creativity and completed three projects! Omg, right? I also used up all my double-sided tape ... it was totally worth it though.


I brought a faux book from the Reject Shop ages ago to recover and use with my Steampunk Librarian costume but then I found a much nicer looking one at Typo and I used that instead. But now the first book has finally received its makeover! ^_^

It's quite simple, but I'm happy with how my new copy of "Hogwarts: A History" has turned out ^_^ I just recovered the book with scrapbooking paper, added a metal drawer label for the title, and then added details with my quill and gold paint pen. 

My drawing skills are a bit lacking, so I drew a simplified version of the Hogwarts crest on the cover and just added some details with the gold pen. I think it looks nice nonetheless ^_^
 

I think my favourite part of this project was using my quill - it feels so different to regular pens and it's so fun to use ^_^
 
Then I found a couple of 6x6 inch square canvases in my stash, so I made two more art canvases to add to my little collection ^_^ First up: the polka-dot owl canvas!


I covered the canvas with this blue spotty scrapbooking paper and then set about cutting out circles from several other papers.


Then I drew tiny owls on each one. You can tell they're owls right? (I hope so!)
 

I used my tiny alphabet stamps to add the proverb (courtesy of Albus Dumbledore) and then stuck the circles down with tape and then gave everything a coating of mod podge.

Yay! All done! ^_^ I had proverbs on the brain by this time so I started on another canvas. This one is the "silver linings" canvas ^_^ I love how colourful and happy it is! The little wooden clouds had been in my stash for a while, so it was great to use them up ^_^
 

For the front of this canvas I used a piece of scrapbooking paper from my 6x6 inch paper pad, and then used a complementary piece to cover the sides.
 

I used my silver paint pen to colour in the edges of the clouds as well as draw an edging line on the fronts of them.


Can you believe I used washi tape on only one of these projects? I used five different kinds on this canvas to make up for it ~_^
 

And then finished it off with the tiny alphabet stamps again ^_^
 

And that's it! I've still got two canvases in my stash, so as soon as I get some more tape I'll do something with them too ^_^ The best thing about these projects is that they were all 100% stash! It's great to use up some old supplies ^_^

Do you have a favourite? What's your opinion on scrapbooking style crafts? (I know they're not everyone's cup of tea)

- Lisa x

6 comments:

Flora and Paws said...

I love your silver linings cover it is so cheerful and the little wooden clouds are super cute. Stash busting projects are great too.

bekswhoknits said...

Oh these are really cool!!! I don't like birds as a rule, but those owls are pretty cute.

(And it was really nice to meet you tonight)

Mustofa said...

Hai...
Nice Blog....

Lisa said...

Thanks Sara! ^_^

Lisa said...

Owls are my favourite, but most other birds scare me a bit! ^_^ It was lovely to meet you!

Lisa said...

Thanks Mustofa! ^_^