Sunday 17 July 2016

The Fluffy Rainbow Mohawk Hat


Hello! I have something to confess: I am terrible at taking photos of handmade gifts. I always seem to finish them at night or right before I'm meant to gift them and then I forget to take photos and then I end up taking the gift back to take a couple of quick snaps. Terrible form. I did the exact same thing with this hat, except luckily my lovely friend Cherry sent me these photos! On an honest to goodness wooden hat block! I want one.



But anyway, let's talk hats. Specifically fluffy rainbow mohawk hats! Omg, folks, I adore this hat. I made the base hat from Shiver in black; it's a really plush acrylic yarn which is very warm and very soft. Itchy hats = the worst, amiright?


I used a pattern from Oombawka Design for the base of the hat which I really like because it gives you lots of sizing options. I used the Adult Large size, but because my tension is very tight I did still have to add in a couple of extra rows. Shiver is an extra bulky yarn, and I used a 6mm hook. I could have gone bigger for the hook size, but I wanted to make sure I didn't have a gappy look for the base hat.
 

For the mohawk I used the instructions from Ashlee Marie; basically I crocheted a strip that runs from the front to back of the hat. I used trebles to make mine to ensure I would have enough space between stitches for the fringe, because I wanted to use a variety of chunky yarns! I used the black Shiver yarn for the mohawk base to ensure it would blend in with the hat.
 
 

I cut my colourful yarns into 20 cm/ 8 inch lengths and used three or four (depending on the chunkiness) for each piece of fringe. In progress it looked like a really cool caterpillar! I am not sure how many lengths I cut to make this; I just cut a bunch, looped them through, realised I need a lot more ... (repeat, repeat, repeat). I sewed the mohawk to the hat with the same black Shiver yarn, but in retrospect I think embroidery thread would be a lot easier! I didn't trim down the mohawk when I was finished because I liked how the slightly different lengths gave texture to the mohawk. Plus, I'd spent so long on it that the idea of taking scissors to it made me wanna cry a little! ~___^
 

I don't have a full list of the yarns I used for the mohawk because I am terrible about keeping labels on my stash, but here are the ones I do know!
  • Passioknit Electric Beat Jambi (90% acrylic, 10% wool): this is the cool multicoloured yarn! It has orange, grey, brown, blue, green, pink, and purple in it.
  • Moda Vera Jester in Turquoise and Lime (70% acrylic, 30% wool)
  • Lion Brand Yarns Hometown USA in Honolulu Pink (100% acrylic)
The ones I don't know included a thick and thin purple, a pink and purple wavy yarn, and a blue and green wavy yarn. As long as your yarns are chunky and colourful though, I don't think you can really go wrong! ^___^

- Lisa xx

No comments: